For my original post, click here.
Although the Fere managed to ameliorate some of the problems with the souls they populated on their planets, others kept popping up. What flummoxed the Fere was the dizzying variety of moral and ethical systems which led to countless clashes between peoples. Although these souls believed they had reached a positive afterlife, they could not understand why "unbelievers" were there as well, which led to strife. The Fere presumed that reaching "heaven" would be satisfactory to the souls, but it was not so. The Fere, being powerful, thought the souls would listen to and respect them, so they decided to create a new moral code, based on the Fere's own moral and ethical codes but compatible with those of the souls.
This was not an easy task. The Fere conferred for days, their highly evolved minds not used to such primitive problems. After all, they thought, had not these moral and ethical problems long since been solved? But they persevered, and they came up with a simple list of morals that could be understood by all. When the Fere next appeared to the souls of the heavens, they placed this moral code into each soul's mind, that it could not be forgotten.
- The Fere are not gods but Teachers. We desire no adoration, sacrifices, nor worship of any kind. We only desire the respect you would offer to a parent or elder.
- All souls are divine by their very existence; to do violence to another is to injure the divinity of the universe.
- No soul is property of another.
- No soul holds power over another without the other soul's approval. No soul can place itself under the power of another.
- You are what you create. Thus, to steal from a soul is an attempt to steal a part of a soul, and that is forbidden.
- If one creates, it is the property of one. If many create, it is the property of many. If all create, it is the property of all.
- Love one another, in all ways. To force love unto another, however, is to do violence, and that is forbidden.
- Build upon what the Fere have created for you.
- Honor others as you would yourself.
- The Fere are your servants as well as your elders. Ask, but do not demand.
The souls, not used to direct communication with the Fere, were frightened at first at this intrusion into their minds, but they pondered the Fere's moral code, discussing it with each other and thinking through the days and nights. Although a few souls would complain about one or more of the codes, the vast majority of souls ultimately accepted the moral code and took it to heart. After all, if this was heaven, why complain?